This project is read-only.

refresh rate

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:19 AM
how do You guys think is it possible to make ULA refresh rate equal to system refresh rate?

i could make it work on main system refresh rate >=50Hz
but i think there should be some option to stick to main system refresh rate (that could be modified to any frequency from 30Hz to 100Hz on my nvidia 560ti with 0.1 grade or something)

here is my experiment to limit VM frames to system frames:

22900: VirtualMachine.cs line 182:
            byte[] sndbuf = m_sound.LockBuffer();
            /*
            while (m_spectrum.IsRunning && sndbuf == null)
            {
                Thread.Sleep(1);
                sndbuf = m_sound.LockBuffer();
            }
            */
            if (sndbuf != null)
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I think that sound clicks may appears without sync to the sound card
Apr 14, 2013 at 7:05 AM
sound affected by this modification too but main thing is that video frames is synchronized windows monitor refresh rate.

in this way i could make all scrolls looks readable e.g. satisfaction and all other with 1move per video frame.
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Edited Apr 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Try to setup your display for 75 Hz refresh rate and I believe that scrolls will be much better :)
60 Hz is bad because sample ratio is 10+1 (10 new frames + 1 repeat), repeating frame happens too rarely, so your eye can detect jitter.
75 Hz is better because sample ratio is 2+1 (2 new frames + 1 repeat), it's too fast, so it will looks much smoother for your eye.
Of course, 50 Hz will be always better, but on 75 or 100 Hz display it looks not so bad :)
Apr 17, 2013 at 5:02 AM
the idea is to make an option to bind vm refresh rate to host machine refresh rate. now seems there is no synchronization to hardware video frames.

Alexander

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Actually new frame will appears to the user with synchronization to the hardware video frame. This is because call to D3D.Present() will wait VBlank pulse before show new frame. I understand your thoughts, there is no option to control which frame exactly should be skipped, but it seems that there is no need to control it.
At least I think it works in that way :)
Apr 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM
need to make some test software

Alexander